Thursday, July 10, 2008

Keepin' it Orginal

I have to admit, I sometimes have feelings of guilt. Guilt about changing the color of the interior in my Mustang. I know this sounds a little funny, but I've always been split on the restore/modify fence. I love some original restored cars, even those with chalk marks on the firewall. But part of me also loves cars that are modified, though I prefer the simple look without too many body mods.

My thinking is that if you don't do anything permanent to harm the car (i.e., anything that can be changed back to normal without hacking anything up) then you're ok. I just prefer an interior color other than blue. Rather than spend an exhorbitant amount of money on replacing every interior piece or buying some orignal color interior paint, I just decided to go ahead and change the color to grey.

This isn't really a big deal for most Fox Body Mustang Enthusiasts. Doing 5 lug swaps, changing engines and trannys, etc. is no big deal. Have often do you see completely restored 5.0's that are completely original? But as cars become rare and prices rise, it will be inevitable. Just look at all the orginal 64 1/2 and up stangs that go for big money now. They experienced a similar phenomena as they were modified heavily and raced in their heydey.

I for one feel like I should build my car however I desire. I bought it to (perhaps) keep it forever and build it the way I like. I want to be able to enjoy the car and be happy with it. And you should too, because that's what this hobby is all about.

No comments: