Monday, July 7, 2008

Future Mods

After much consideration, I've come up with a list of mods I intend to perform on my vert. While I am trying to maintain some semblence of budget, I also have several goals in mind. I'm looking for 400+ horsepower with no power adder. I want to keep compression low so that I can add a blower/turbo in the future however. Naturally this means the drivetrain has to be able to handle 400-600 hp. The vert will not be my daily driver, however once it's done I want to be able to enjoy it so it has to have some level of reliablity. I also have a (fairly amibitious) goal of having the car completed by next summer. I'll continue to post progress.

Desired mods:

-351W crate motor (426hp)
I am still on the fence between going this route or just rebuilding the 302 with heads/intake/cam

-Tremec TKO500 tranny
This is a definite. The car was originally a 5 speed car but the guy that owned it before me put a C4 in it. Everything is still hung for the manual, however.

-8.8 rear with 3.73 gears
A definite must

-5 lug conversion, upgrade to four wheel disc (SN95 style)
This is the part I'm having the most trouble with. The 5 lug conversion has many benefits, including the wide array of wheel choices that come with it. It's a pricey and involved conversion but I'm leaning towards doing it. I have a soft spot for Saleen 5 stars and this is the only way to do it. A braking upgrade is a definite must no matter what, considering the performance upgrade.

-4" cowl hood
Necessary with a 351 swap, plus the future power adder.

-Vert styling bar
I just like the way they look

-Eibach suspension upgrade
I don't necessarily want a road racer (i'm more of a drag kind of guy) but I do like to go around corners safely and sometimes at speed. Plus, you get a nice drop to improve the looks of the car along with it.

These are the major parts and upgrades I have planned. I'm currently trying to save money by doing the interior myself. I will also do the majority of the body work myself. The body is really in great shape with little surface rust and just a few dents here and there. A couple of the panels also need to be adjusted.

I'd love a little feedback on what I have planned. I really want to go with 18" Saleens and I've seen it done on a few cars with the Eibach suspension. I am also trying to decide on a color. I would have to say that Black is in the lead right now but I am a fan of grey and blue also.

-

No comments: